In Bergamo in 1998, Andrea pulled on of the most storied jerseys in all of cycling, the legendary
Italian Tricolore. Andrea's Mapei team were well represented in the race and it was with the help of young teammate Daniele
Nardello that Andrea was able to stay away for the win. Andrea would repay his young teammate for his support just a few weeks
later and selflessly helped him win a stage at the Tour de France.
Tafi wore the Italian Champion's Jersey with pride.
He had three top 10 finishes in World Cup races, showed the jersey at the front of the peloton in both the Giro d'Italia and
Tour de France and of course had a memorable solo victory in the Paris-Roubaix classic in the Tricolore, recreating the feat
of his boyhood idol, Francesco Moser.
1998 Italian National Road Championships
Bergamo - Bergamo, 249.9 kms:
1. Andrea Tafi (Ita) Mapei-Bricobi 5.53.35 (42.405)
2. Daniele Nardello (Ita) Mapei-Bricobi 0.18
3. Alberto Elli (Ita) Casino 0.20
4. Alessandro Bertolini
(Ita) Cofidis 0.26
5. Massimo Podenzana (Ita) Mercatone Uno-Bianchi 0.29
6. Filippo Baldo (Ita) Ballan
Barbero (Ita) Mercatone Uno-Bianchi 0.36
8. Fabrizio Guidi (Ita) Polti 2.53
9. Matteo Tosatto (Ita) Ballan
Denis Zanette (Ita) Vini Caldirola